Saturday 1 October 2011

Day 1 - Local Tournament

We should really get a name for this tournament shouldnt we ... hmmm

Anyhoo, 3 games, first game was Kill Points with an added secret objective. My objective was to assassinate my opponents main HQ, I nearly did to, but we'll get to that. Played a great friendly Nilla Marines player, he had a beautiful rogue trader Dreadnought, +5 style points my friend :)

2nd game was more or less King of the Hill, I won that one too. My Long Fangs played a huuuuuge part in me winning that game, his army was mainly comprised of 3 Rhinos with Tactical Squads in two of them and a Command Squad in one, then a Tactical Squad in a Razorback. So he was easily more mobile than I was,  but, I got to bring more fire power to the table, rendering his tin cans useless.

My 3rd game was awesome, one objective in the middle, we place one each, I played against my best friend who was fielding a Foot Eldar List. 2 20Man Guardian Blobs, 2 Dire Avenger squads, Eldrad, Avatar, 2 Dakka Wraithlords and 3 D-Cannon platforms. no matter which way I went towards it, the D-Cannons had the centre objective covered. 2+ to wound, AP 2, I was screwed. and the board was set so that everything my Long Fangs sniped at, got cover. But, I had great fun so...

This Battle Report is from sheer memory, so bear with me :)

Game 1 - Ultramarines

Opponents List -
Captain w/Relic Blade, Meltabombs, Iron Halo
Command Squad w/ Apothecary, Champion and Plasma Gunners - in a Razorback

Dreadnought w/ Twin-linked Autocannon and Assault Cannon

3 Tactical Squads w/ Lascannon in 1, Missile Launcher in another, Multimelta in the 3rd and Meltaguns - One was in a Land Raider

 Devastator Squad w/ 4 or 5 Missile Launchers

Devastator Squad w/ 3 Heavy Bolters and 2 Missile Launchers

Scout Squad w/ Snipers and Missile Launcher in a Speeder w/ Heavy Bolter

Deployment -
Urban Ruined City
I deployed evenly along my table edge, Troops supported by atleast one unit with a Lascannon. One unit of Long Fangs in cover, in each corner building.

His deployment -
He didn't really have any building for his Devastators to sit in, so, one deployed inside a large three sectioned building and the other in the centre of his deployment zone in a ruin. Land Raider on my Left with his Razorback, by my Predator, Grey Hunters and 3 Plasma - 2 Lascannon Long Fangs. His Dreadnought on my right, almost totally unsupported.

I got turn one.

Turn 1 was more or less just moving things up into cover, spinning my Razorback round a ruin to block LoS to Njal and Friends, and take some pot shots at vehicles. Got a Shaken Result on the Dreadnought and shot a few guys out of the Tac Squads.

His turn didn't really amount to much, moving Tac Squads so the Heavy guns couldn't fire,  moving his Land Raider 12" forward towards my Grey Hunters entrenched behind a wall. Moved his Dreadnought towards my Blood Claws in a ruin. Shuffled his Devastators around in their respective hidey holes.

Turn 2 was alot better for me. Started dropping Plasma Cannon templates on his units, killing Tac Squads in droves. Wrecking his Land Raider with amassed Lascannon fire. Then Plasma'ing the Tac Squad to come out. Moved my Blood Claws up to the exit of the ruin, Njal and Friends moved up safely behind the Razorback, Njal launching Living Lightningbolts towards the Dreadnought, accomplishing sweet diddly, so as you can tell, I'm ready to launch a mass frontal assault on his positions on the flanks and his Dreadnought sitting defiant, dead in the centre of the field.

His turn, again, didn't accomplish much. A few Lascannons that missed. Some Assault Cannon shots bouncing off my Blood Claws. And some Heavy Bolters missing, 9 shots, and not one hit ...

Turn 3 - Wolf Scouts came in on his table edge, running and bombing the Razorback, only managing to destroy its Heavy Bolter. I finished off the guys out of the Land Raider with massed Grey Hunter bolter fire. My Blood Claws leave the ruins and make a mad dash towards the Dreadnought, only to be stopped by a ''for the LULZ'' Dreadnought Lascannon shot into its side, making it explode. VERY anticlimactic. Got more Tactical Marines getting eaten in droves of bolter and plasma fire. Njal and Crew slink up the right side, poised to hit the small number of Tactical Marines sitting behind a barricade, sending Lascannon shots screaming towards my Razorback. And Njal takes it upon himself to call upon the planet to eat the Lascannon Marine ... and luckily for me, it does - YAY!

His turn, his Command Squad get out and assault my Wolf Scouts (thinking back, he couldn't have done that but, meh.) Land Speeder arrives on my left, lets some Snipers out, and they assault my Long Fangs, if only to keep them tied up, and they do, drawn combat. Tons of bolter fire cut my Grey Hunter Squad down to a man, he passes Morale and stands, like a boss.

Turn 4 - Dreadnought, Njal and his Grey Hunters move up the side towards a Devastator Squad and the two remaining Tac Marines. The two lonely Tac marines get eradicated by Njal's psychic prowess. The Devastator Squad in the ruin gets assaulted by my Dreadnought, to keep the sneaky buggers tied up. My Long Fangs win their combat by one, but the Scouts stand. Blood Claws run into a ruin ready to assault the Devastator Squad inside there. I fire my Long Fangs into the Squad, to soften them up, and end up killing the last Missile Launcher and Heavy Bolter gunner. Again, my Blood Claws are left with nothing to kill, they pull sad faces, and I end my turn.

His Turn - His Command Squad jumps back in the Razorback and it zooms along his deployment zone towards my Blood Claws. His Scouts get tore apart. His Devastators get smashed into a pulp. My turn.

Turn 5 - This ended up being the last turn of a fairly one sided game. Blood Claws move up the ruin towards the Razorback, Power Fist crackling at the ready. Njal and Friends hook round towards the Blood Claws, my Dreadnought moves up, but is just out of sight of the Razorback. Blood Claws roll difficult terrain to assault the Razorback .... 1 and a 2 ... they just sorta ... fall over ....

His turn 5 - Lets his Command Squad out and assaults my Blood Claws (again this shouldn't have happened BUT, the game was mine anyway so I just let it slip) He loses his Champion and two Veterans. I lose 4 unworthy initiates. My guys stay thanks to Njal being just close enough to allow a re-roll on their Morale Check with his Saga of Majesty.

At this point, my friend Bede waltzes over and says, ''with me being the 'neutral party', shall I roll to see if the game continues?'', we both agree and let him, and OF-COURSE, he rolls a two ... One more turn and Njal would have joined the fray and I would have gained my Secret objective .... damn  ...

Final Score, 6 - 1 to me, my opponent killed 50 % of my infantry some how .... and got his secret objective ....

All in all, brilliant game to start the day :) .

2 comments: